Skilled worker visa

Under the Skilled Worker system, migrants wishing to work in the UK must have a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) assigned to them from a Home Office approved licensed sponsor before applying for their work visa.

Sponsored Work Visas

The Skilled Worker visa is one of the visa categories under the new Points Based System (PBS) and allows skilled non-settled migrants to come to the UK to work.

Case evaluation

Call us on on 0121 817 8890 or fill out the form

    Please tick to confirm you have read agreed our Privacy Policy* .

    Skilled Worker Visa Categories

    The Skilled Work Visa route had the following 4 categories: 

    Skilled Worker (formally Tier 2 General);
    Intra-Company Transfer (ICT);
    T2 Sportsperson; and
    T2 Minister of Religion.
    Applicants needed a have a job offer and a CoS from an organisation that is a licenced Home Office sponsor in the UK. As this is a points-based application, Applicants had to score a minimum of 70 points (or 60 points if applying for an ICT visa). In addition to having a CoS, the maintenance and English language requirements must also be met.

    Our immigration solicitors routinely meet with clients who wish to work for an organisation which does not have a business Sponsor Licence. We are often instructed to meet with such businesses and explore their options of hiring non-settled workers within their organisation.

    Skilled Worker Visa

    Applicants must be awarded 50 mandatory points under the Skilled Worker Visa category. 20 points will be awarded for Sponsorship (i.e. having a valid CoS), 20 points will be awarded for being offered a job at an appropriate skill level and 10 points will be awarded for English language. Applicants also need 20 tradable points for salary or a job that is on the Shortage Occupation List. Unlike the former Tier 2 (General) route, there is now no longer a requirement for the Sponsor to have conducted the Resident Labour Market Test, however, the job vacancy must still be genuine. 

    Our specialist immigration team are regularly instructed by skilled worker migrants who have been assigned a CoS and then wish to apply for a Skilled Worker visa. The CoS must confirm that they will be paid an appropriate salary. If you meet the strict requirements of this route, you may be granted leave up to 5 years, after which Applicants may be eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain..

    Our process


    Understand the situation circumstances and problem at hand


    Efforts, energies and resources in developing evidence-based and comprehensive application


    We always remain in regular contact with the client to inform them about the progress


    On request, we can provide legal assistance in the court if there is a hearing or any requirements


    Successful applicants


    Rely on our experience and expertise of our solicitors here at Shams Williams